Arabic belongs to the list of most spoken languages inrnthe world. In fact, it is the fifth most common language in the world. Morernthan 300 million people all over the world speak Arabic. Quran, the holy bookrnof Muslims around the world is written in Classical Arabic. In this article, we have explained some facts about the Arabicrnlanguage.
Arabic is a Semitic Language:rnrn
Those who are interested in learning Arabic language must knowrnthat it belongs to the family of Semitic languages, which include Aramaic andrnHebrew. In fact, Arabic is the most spoken Semitic language. It is also thernofficial language of Middle Eastern countries and in many regions of NorthrnAmerica. Arabic carries a great history and civilization behind.rnrn
There are two Arabic versions:rnrn
There are two versions of Arabic language Modern Arabic and Classical Arabic.rnrn
- Classical Arabic is the official language and it is also the language of the holy book Quran.
- Classical Arabic does not change and is the only way to learn Arabicrnlanguage in an academic way. It is used in formal situations. It is also usedrnin newspaper, books, academic researches and study books. As classical Arabicrnis most used in written context, Modern Arabic is used in the daily spokenrncontexts.
Arabic Alphabets consist of 28 consonantal phonemes, which includerntwo semi-vowels. Just like in any other language, Arabic Alphabets in the firstrnstep in the process of learning Arabic language. Quite opposite to the Englishrnlanguage, Arabic is written from right to left. It is written is cursivernhandwriting. Dots are used in Arabic language to differentiate betweenrndifferent letters. A single dot, omitted or added by mistake can change thernmeaning of the word completely. Thus, dots are very vital in learning thisrnlanguage and must be paid proper attention.
Arabic grammar has many similarities with grammar of otherrnSemitic languages. As for classical Arabic grammar, we find that itrnis divided into five branches mentioned as follows:rnrn
- Lexicon (al-lughah ): which is concerned with the meaning and the explanation of ArabicrnVocabularyrnrn
- Morphology (at-taṣrīf ): It deals with determining the form of the words.rnrn
- Syntax (an-naḥw ): It is about inflection; however it is lost in spoken Arabicrnlanguage between Arabs. It’s study is when you learn to speak Arabic in an academic way.rnrn
- Derivation(al-ishtiqāq ): It is the study of the origin of the words.rnrn
- Rhetoric(al-balāghah): It is the study of the construction of sentences.rnrn
The oldest form of Arabic literature is poetry. Arabic literature carriesrnwith itself a great old history. The history of Arabicliterature began in thernArabian Peninsula and dates back to as old as 16 centuries ago. Arabicrnliterature is a very important part of Arabic learning. If one is interested inrnlearning Arabic, he or she will definitely have to read Arabic literature asrnwell as grammar.rnrn
Learning Arabic languagernrn
Arabic is the fifth mostrncommonly spoken international language, and thus it’s usage it is obvious howrnits learning Arabic as foreign language can be beneficial. There are a numberrnof ways you can learn – there are various online language courses provided byrnportals- Example one could enroll for Course online foreign language coursesrnwhich provide excellent guidance for those looking forward to learn a foreignrnlanguage or watch the free videos here at Edupedia World under the learn section.